Federer ready for Del Potro test

Roger Federer will bid for a 16th Grand Slam title when he faces Juan Martin del Potro in Monday's US Open final.

The top seed outclassed Novak Djokovic in the semis and is hoping to become the first man since Bill Tilden in 1925 to win six successive US Open crowns.

"I'm relaxed," said the 27-year-old Swiss. "Things go quickly here, you don't have much time to think about it.

"I was pretty nervous going into my semi-final and it's going to be interesting to see how I handle it."

Looking to add the US Open to the French Open and Wimbledon titles he has already won in 2009, Federer takes on sixth seed Del Potro at 1800 BST.

The top seed has triumphed on each of his six previous meeting with the 20-year-old Argentine, most recently in the semi-finals at Roland Garros.

Federer's Wimbledon victory saw him break Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles, with Sampras himself, Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg amongst those watching on in the Centre Court crowd.


"I don't think Pete's coming for a start," said Federer, who has reached at least the semi-finals in 23 of his last 24 Grand Slam tournaments.

"But just knowing he was there and Laver was there and Borg was there, many of the greats, maybe wanting to witness tennis history... it definitely increased the pressure.

"So I feel a little bit different here. You just take things in your stride."

Federer, who became a father for the first time earlier this summer when new wife Mirka gave birth to twin girls, added: "It will be great to get the first slam as a dad.

"Keep the momentum going, win three in a row. It will be something very special."

In Del Potro, Federer will be facing his sixth different opponent in as many US Open finals dating back to his first win in 2004.

The Argentine, who thrashed third seed Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-2 6-2 in his semi-final, took Federer to five sets at the French Open but he admitted this could be an even trickier assignment.

"When I was playing Roger in the French Open I was so close," said Del Potro. "On that surface it was much better for me and here the surface is going to help him... not too much me.

"But I have a good feeling with everything and I'm hoping for the best."

0 Responses

Post a Comment

Business blogs
  • AddThis

    Bookmark and Share
  • Share/Save/Bookmark